CNN CNN Health

Know the Warning Signs of Medication Overdose in Kids

Content provided by: Better Medicine from Healthgrades

Sometimes, you know beyond a doubt that your child has taken too much medicine. For instance, you find an empty bottle, or you watch your child swallow extra pills before you can intervene.

But other times, your little one may take medications when you’re not looking. Or you may accidentally give too high a dose, or combine two drugs with the same active ingredient, such as a cold medicine and a pain reliever that both contain acetaminophen.

Take Swift Action

If you know or suspect your child has taken too much medicine, call the Poison Control Center at 800-222-1222. Keep the number programmed into your home and cell phones and posted on your refrigerator. Call 911 immediately if your child:

  • Won’t wake up

  • Can’t breathe

  • Twitches or shakes uncontrollably

  • Displays extremely strange behavior

  • Has trouble swallowing

  • Develops a rapidly spreading rash

  • Swells up in the face, including around the lips or tongue

Watch for These Red Flags

If you’re not sure whether your child took too much medication, look for signs of overdose. They can vary based on your child’s age and weight, along with the type and amount of the drug he or she took. In general, the following signs indicate a problem:

Stop Overdose Before It Starts

Of course, the best way to deal with an overdose is to prevent it from happening in the first place. Follow these tips to store and use medication safely:

  • Keep medicine out of children’s sight and reach. Put it away each time you use it. Close child-proof caps until they click or stop turning.

  • Read labels carefully and give drugs only as directed. Use the dosage container that came with the medicine—never a kitchen spoon.

  • Check the active ingredients of all your child’s medicines. Make sure you’re not giving two products containing the same active ingredient.

  • Always ask your child’s doctor or the pharmacist if you have questions about medications.

Key Takeaways

  • Program the Poison Control Center number—800-222-1222—into your phone. Call anytime if you know or suspect your child has ingested more than one dose of medicine.

  • Dial 911 instead if your child won’t wake up, can’t breathe, or exhibits other serious symptoms listed above.

  • If you’re not sure whether your child took too much medication, look for signs of overdose, such as vomiting, diarrhea, or drooling.

Medical Reviewer: Williams, Robert, MD Last Annual Review Date: Aug 27, 2013 Copyright: © 2013 Healthgrades, Inc. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced or reprinted without permission from Healthgrades, Inc. Use of this information is governed by the Healthgrades User Agreement.
This content is created or selected by the HealthGrades editorial team and is funded by an advertising sponsor. The content is subject to the HealthGrades medical review process for accuracy, balance and objectivity. The content is not edited or otherwise influenced by the advertisers appearing on this page except with the possible suggestion of the broad topic area. For more information, read the" target="_new">HealthGrades advertising policy.

This content is selected and managed by the Healthgrades editorial staff.

OTC Medicine Safety (sponsored)

Keep your child safe. Know about OTC safe use.

Like us on Facebook and share with your Twitter followers.